>From #2. Kenapa beliau ambil contoh dari Pakistan?
Adakah Pakistani negara Islam yang lengkap sempurna?
Kenapa tidak ambil contoh zaman para sahabat?

>From #5. Orthodox mana yang beliau ambil contoh dimana suami boleh memukul
isteri sesuka hati?

>From #7... Well, I guess we can tell what kind of Moslem this person is.....

-----Original Message-----
From: killer fish [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, 16 May, 2000 8:23 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: H-Net* "Twelve good reasons I don't support PAS"

Assalamualaikum wbt,

Samad ("'Disturbing' viewpoint of Suhakam member", May
3) seems perplexed why enlightened and progressive
Muslims like Zainah Anwar and A. Farish Noor do not
support PAS, while non-Muslims like Singh, Mary Tan
and S. Jayasankaran welcome PAS as an alternative to
Barisan Nasional.

Let me enlighten Samad. As a progressive Muslim woman,
I will give 12 reasons why I pray to God five times a
day that PAS will never rule this country:

1. I worry that my Chinese sister-in-law whose
marriage to my brother is on the rocks will eventually
divorce him and go back to the bosom of her family and
leave Islam. Under the PAS hudud law she will be
deemed an apostate and sentenced to death. She's a
wonderful friend and mother whose big mistake was to
marry my spoilt and selfish brother. I cannot, in all
conscience, stand by and watch the mother of my
beautiful nieces and nephew be sentenced to death for
choosing to go back to her original faith and support
system after suffering for years at the hands of a bad
husband.

2. I worry that should my daughter or nieces or I be
raped and we are unable to produce four pious males
who witnessed the penetration, we will be charged and
found guilty for illicit sex under the PAS hudud law.
Reports from Pakistan point out that thousands of
Pakistani women in jail are rape
victims who have been found guilty for zina because
they were unable to produce the four male witnesses
required to prove rape.

And there are many more thousands of women who do not
report rape, knowing that they would be charged for
zina because of their inability to prove rape
according to the requirements of the hudud law. If the
Syariah Courts in Malaysia cannot even implement the
Islamic Family Law according to the substance and
spirit of the law, what hope do I have that the same
religious authorities would be able to implement any
other Islamic law to ensure that justice is done?

3. I worry that should I find the courage to publicly
stand up and speak out against the PAS hudud law, I
will be condemned as an apostate and be sentenced to
death as pronounced by Ustaz Hadi Awang and many other
ulama.

4. I worry that the Islamic Family Law which grants
women the right to divorce, and to a share of the
matrimonial property, and which provides for strict
conditions for polygamy (no matter how flawed the
implementation) will be repealed or amended to conform
to the medieval PAS view of women as nothing more than
chattels, sex objects and evil temptresses who should
be kept hidden and silenced.

5. I worry that the Domestic Violence Act which makes
it a crime for a husband to beat his wife will be
deemed unIslamic because of the orthodox belief that a
Muslim man has a right to beat his wife.

6. I worry that Islam will be used to silence the
women's groups that now champion the rights of women
and put pressure on the government to amend laws and
policies that discriminate against women.

7. I worry that the films I now see, the concerts,
dances and plays I attend will all be deemed unIslamic
and a source of maksiat and will be banned under a PAS
government. Or that only non-Muslims can attend such
events, while I have to listen only to Raihan.

8. I worry that my best friend who is a dancer will no
longer be able to perform on stage because she is a
Muslim woman, just as her friends in Kelantan have
lost that right to partake in their love for the Malay
performing arts.

9. I worry that I will not be able to move about
freely and wear whatever clothes I want without a
moral vigilante force stopping me in the streets and
poke and beat me with a stick for not covering my hair
and my arms as the practice in Iran over the past 20
years under mullah rule.

10. I worry that should the Barisan Alternatif win
power, PAS as the biggest force within the coalition,
will eliminate its democratic and progressive partners
and turn this country into a fascist Islamic republic,
as happened in Iran.

11. I worry that while my Chinese and Indian friends
will be able to reach their full potential and live
life fully, the Malays of this country will be
shackled and crippled intellectually, emotionally,
spiritually, left even further behind in all fields
because of so many restrictions on their rights, their
creativity, their freedoms, all done in the name of
religion.

Just the thought of it already leaves me debilitated
physically. I know my Muslims friends and I don't have
the strength to fight the relentless assault of
religious bigots.

12. I worry that a cultural and religious apartheid
system will develop in this multi-racial country, with
separate rights and separate public spaces for Muslims
and non-Muslims. It will eventually lead to the
collapse and impoverishment of Malaysian society. I
fear the consequences because this is the only home I
know.

Ada sape-sape nak komen ???

Regards

Fatimah Mohamad