Sunday, 26, August 2001

Lev Tolstoi: «I ask to consider me … Mohammedian»

World did all what that wanted, allowing churches as
it is able to develop their explanations of meaning of
life. The world established life, in all opposite to
doctrines of the Christ.

Kavkaz -Center already published materials testifying
about it, that Russian writer Lev Tolstoi before
death, accepted Islam and became Muslim. Today we
publish one more material based on personal notes of
the writer, unambiguously indicating that Lev Tolstoi
died as a Muslim.

Lev Nikoloivich Tolstoi (1828-1910) - ingenious
Russian writer, thinker who made huge contribution to
Russian literature and history. He is more known to us
as the writer. His philosophical sights, treatises in
which his representations are stated about God, soul,
knowledge, love, about meaning of the life etc.
Painful searches of meaning of life, moral ideal, the
latent general laws of life are less known, spiritual
and social criticism pass through all creativity of
the writer. Since 1870th years, attention to themes of
death, a sin, a repentance and moral revival grows.

His completely extraordinary thinking in most cases
was not clear to Russian society. He was cursed from
church and was devoted to anathema, friends and
familiar turned away from him. In 1910, at the age of
81 years, Lev Tolstoi leaves a house and dies on road,
at station Astapovo. Why the end of life of the great
writer appeared so sad and where he went, leaving from
a house? Probably, some letters of great writer throw
light on these issues.
That he writes about church:

«The World did all it wanted, allowing church as it is
able to develop behind it in the explanations of
meaning of the life. The world established life, in
all opposite to doctrine of the Christ, and the church
thought out allegories on which it left, that people,
living against the law of Christ, live according to
their own will. Also it was terminated by that the
world began to live a life, which became worse than
pagan life, and the church began not only to justify
this life but to approve that in it consists the
doctrine of the Christ».
Clear Glade, March, 1909.
Russian woman, who was married to a Muslim,
E.Vekilova, wrote to Tolstoi, that her sons wish to
accept Islam, and asked advice that how it can be. The
writer, in particular, answered to her:

«As up to preference of Muhammadanity to orthodoxy… I
only can sympathize with all soul with such
transition. It is not strange to tell, for me, to
having put above Christian ideals and Christian
doctrine in its true sense, for me, there cannot be no
doubt that Muhammadanity according to its external
forms stands incomparably above church orthodoxy. So,
if to the person are put only two choices: to keep
church orthodoxy or Muhammadanity, for any reasonable
person, there cannot be doubt in a choice and everyone
will prefer Muhammadanity with recognition of one
doctrine, One God and His prophet, instead of that
complex and not clear in divinity - Trinities,
expiations, sacraments, sacred and their images and
complex divine services …»
Clear Glade, March, 15, 1909.
Let's consider one more letter of the writer, which
even more clears up his outlook, sophisticated as a
result of painful searches.

«I was very glad, if you would be of one belief with
me. You figure out a little bit in my life. Any
successes of life - riches, honors, and glory - all
these are not provided to me. Friends of mine, even
family, turn away from me. Some - liberals and
aesthetes - consider me mad or weak-minded like
Gogolia; others - revolutionaries and radicals -
consider me mystic, the talker: governmental people
consider me harmful revolutionary; orthodox consider
me a devil. I admit, that it is hard for me. … And
consequently, please, look at me, as on the kind
Muhammedanian, then all will be fine».
Clear Glade, April, 1884.

Comments, as they say, is additional.
On materials of Islamic Internet MASS MEDIA.

Kavkaz-Center