I believe the precise verbiage from the Modelling for Halflife document
states that 'textures may be no more than 1024 pixels in any direction'.

Textures most assuredly can be 512 x 512, no configuration value
needed. They compile with studiomdl or they don't, it will tell you if
it's 'too big'. There's no default, just a limit on what studiomdl
allows. By the way, 1024 x 1024 textures are about a meg of texture
memory, if you only have 3 models on screen at any one time, that's a
reasonable amount of memory to consume. Otherwise, I think you're just
wasting texture memory for nothing.

We've sized down weapon textures in photoshop, and found very little
difference between a 512 x 512 texture and a 256 x 256 one, if it's
done correctly. Don't forget, they're being applied to objects that are
only 200 pixels large on screen, if that.

Or are you talking about map textures? I'd suggest:
http://www.valve-erc.com/resources/?page=zhlt

I haven't found anything there that deals specifically with increasing
the dimensions, just the max texture memory. As I understand it, DOD
pushed this a little too hard in one release, and then scaled back,
limiting mappers after that experience.

Halflife may be old, but modern gfx systems, while stunning compared to
what we had in 98, are still lacking to throw away texture memory
frivilously. I'd spend it where it matters, i.e. on your 'main'
weapons, or frequently seen models, etc. If your artists can't work in
those constraints, maybe they should consider another profession ;),
tell them they should be happy not to be working with 4 bit palettes :)

Maybe I'm confused, but I don't know what config file you are asking
about either ;).

Pat 'sluggo' Magnan
Tour of Duty mod
http://www.tourofdutymod.com