At 07:53 PM 17/10/2002 +0100, you wrote:
Correct me if I'm getting confused but surely HL uses as much memory as
needed and considering the sort of spec machines around nowadays and the
capabilities of gfx cards then having several Mb of texture memory for each
npc isn't such an issue. Or does the HL engine have internal limitations
that hold it back in regards to assigning memory usage?
I don't think that HL has internal limitations that hold back it's memory
usage, but no matter how powerful todays machines are, memory will be
exhausted at some point.  Many computers today have 128-256 meg of memory
and 32-64meg of memory on the graphics card.  The memory on the graphics
card is not just being used by the textures, it is also being used by the
models and maps and for all that graphics processing that the card
does.  Using textures that are 1meg big can add up very quickly.  How many
textures are used in the average map?  Don't forget player models,
v_models, p_models & w_models for every weapon, map models, monsters,
sprites, decals, etc.  That can quickly add up to 64 meg for textures alone.

Whatever the gfx card cannot handle, gets put in main memory, but that is
limited too.  Depending on the map, our mod uses around 125meg of memory
and we keep our textures as small as is reasonably possible.  DoD, CS and
even HL are similar.  Add to that the memory being used by the OS and
services running on your computer.  Right now, I only have a few programs
open (not HL) and I am using 307 meg (damn windows wastage ;) ) of which
227 is not cached.

So, if you use too much memory, you get delays as memory is swapped between
main memory and graphics memory, then if you use way too much, you start
getting major lag when stuff starts swapping to your HD.  Not to mention
how long it will take your level to load if all of your textures are 1meg
(1024x1024).

Also, like sluggo said, most models display at about 200 pixels in-game, do
detail above about 256 pixels is a bit of a waste.  The renders that your
modelers do and you post on your web site will look great, but the players
in-game will not be able to tell the difference.  So, you should still be
budgeting everything in your mod and expending memory where it will make
the most difference (ie the most used weapon, a common map texture) and
saving wherever you can.  Today's machines have more memory, but it is not
unlimited.

Rob Prouse (Commando)
Tour of Duty Mod
http://www.tourofdutymod.com