I asked this of a friend of mine, but I got the msg back due to his
mailserver being down. Hoping perhaps the list could help me out. I'm
aware that it is a bit of a newb question, but if you could help me out
just the same, I guarantee I will never have the same question twice ;)

It appears that the CBaseEntity pointer "pOther" gets converted to a
CBasePlayer pointer in the code below. Is this only possible whereas the
converted_to pointer-type is derived from the converted_from pointer-type?
Also, are the parentheses on the right-hand side of the assignment
necessary? Silly question I'm sure, but hey, I'm sure I get this 100% as I
go. ;)

void CBasePlayerItem::DefaultTouch( CBaseEntity *pOther )
{
/* MISC CODE HERE */

CBasePlayer *pPlayer = (CBasePlayer *)pOther;

/* MISC CODE HERE */