I'm on day 2 of trying to convert my linux server to Steam. I have been
plagued with numerous freeze-ups and connection reset errors as many of
you probably have experienced. There has to be a better way.

But my question is why is Steam downloading the contents of the pak
files when they already exist on the server? This doesn't make sense.
Why  download the entire contents of the pak files when it's likely that
99% of the files haven't undergone any changes under Steam? Can the old
pak files be deleted since Steam has seen fit to unpack them?

BTW: Some of you may find a petition circulating on PlanetHalflife to do
away with Steam amusing.