Manip wrote:

Did you read what I said? Do you know what the GPL is... ?
"Valve could release it under GPL "
notice the valve... and I hope valve knows who's code is owned by a third
party.
The engine that valve got from ID is now GPL'ed by ID software that is why
they might agree to let valve release any code they have left .

They've never suggested doing this, and truthfully I think it would be far too much for a small company to manage, especially at a time like this.

Sorry I forget to say, I *JUST* talking about the dedicated server. Sorry my mistake :)

Releasing a dedicated server as open source probably isn't feasible since they use the same common code (i.e. the engine) as the client. Without releasing the engine you basically have what is probably going to be in the SDK anyways (minus the source to primary mods like CS and TF. While I see what you're saying only Valve can decide upon this and I wouldn't hold your breath.

-sb