Stan Bubrouski wrote:

> tom wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> a question: will valve port HL2 to Linux? If they made a dedicated
server
>> for Linux, the engine has to compile. And then it's only a small
>> step to port the whole application. They only need to implement
>

> Not true by any means.  It would be extremely difficult to
> port this game to Linux seeing as unlike HL1 it uses DX
> exclusively.

Really? Look at this:
I think you are inteligent enough to find out what grep does, it's a
nice tool.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] src_main $ grep -r glBegin *
Binary file dx8sdk/lib/d3dx8dt.lib matches
Binary file dx8sdk/lib/d3dx8.lib matches
Binary file dx9sdk/lib/d3dx8dt.lib matches
Binary file dx9sdk/lib/d3dx9dt.lib matches
Binary file dx9sdk/lib/d3dx8.lib matches
Binary file dx9sdk/lib/d3dx9.lib matches
engine/gl_test.cpp:     glBegin (GL_LINES);
utils/vbsp/gldraw.cpp:  glBegin (GL_POLYGON);
utils/vview/gl_rsurf.cpp:       glBegin( GL_POLYGON );
Binary file utils/viewbump/glut32.dll matches
[EMAIL PROTECTED] src_main $

As you can see, DirectX uses internaly OpenGL.
Is this possible? Hmm. Interesting.

if i do this
[EMAIL PROTECTED] src_main $ grep -r D3DX *
dx9sdk/include/d3dxmath.h:HRESULT WINAPI D3DXCreateMatrixStack( DWORD
flags, LPD3DXMATRIXSTACK *ppStack );
[snip] Headers in the dx8sdk and dx9ask directory
materialsystem/shaderdx8/meshdx8.cpp:   void ClipTriangle( D3DXVECTOR3**
ppVert, float zNear, D3DXMATRIX& proj );
[snip] More matches
materialsystem/shaderdx8/playback/playback.cpp:
D3DXFilterCubeTexture( pD3DCubeTexture, 0, 0, D3DX_FILTER_LINEAR );
utils/scratchpad3dviewer/scratchpad3dviewer.cpp:
D3DXMatrixPerspectiveFovLH( &matProj, D3DX_PI/2, Sys_ScreenWidth() /
(float)Sys_ScreenHeight(), 1.0f, 10000.0f );
[EMAIL PROTECTED] src_main $

But nothing in the engine directory, most matches from the file
materialsystem/shaderrdx8/meshdx8.cpp
Is there the actual drawing core? I dont think so.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] src_main $ grep -r OpenGL *
cl_dll/view.cpp:                // OpenGL has 0,0 in lower left
cl_dll/view.cpp:                        // OpenGL has 0,0 in lower left
shell/hl_res/hl_res_us/hl_res.rc:    IDS_VIDMODE_GLLISTHEADER "OpenGL
Driver"
[snip: a long list]
[EMAIL PROTECTED] src_main $

[EMAIL PROTECTED] src_main $ grep -r opengl32.lib  *
engine/engine.dsp:# [snip: a match]
[snip: more matches]
[EMAIL PROTECTED] src_main $

Now please don't say that HL2 doesn't use OpenGL.
Or am I wrong?

tom