From: "McCormack, Chris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, October 13, 2003 9:37 AM
Subject: RE: [hlcoders] if its worth it... where to begin !

> Just to add. I do know C++ and am a developer (but primarily in Java), the
level of detail I want is a bit higher than "learn C++".

mod idea I have planned out. The trouble is I just don't know where to begin
physically coding a completely new mod ! Also with steam sdk not yet
released and, a number of posts from mod coders having steam related coding
problems I am wondering if now is not the best time to get heavily involved
with hl1 coding. So I suppose a few questions :

> In order to get a simple (multiplayer) mod (nothing inside it, literally
barebones code) running, where would I begin (no flames please I am genuine
here).

> I have read about entries in liblist and where to place an existing mod
under steam in order for it to be recognised etc and how to debug using vc,
but not actually anything about "this is the place to start coding your mod,
101 create a class called blah.cpp, then some models, then maps/sounds/tex
etc etc".

> I know it must have all been said before at some point, but has anyone got
any constructive advice (stfw doesn't count :S ).

> If I can get some good advice/urls etc I intend to create a blog on the
progress of my mod from day 1 (smile you may be in it ;)  ).