is the random value an integer? have a look at the function see what values
it can return, you say when someone needs a spawn point? is it only then
that its crashing?

----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 10:59 AM
Subject: [hlcoders] Crash bug that I can not solve!

I have nearly reached my own end with this bug.  I can not solve it for the
life of me. Every so often my game freezes. It sort of hangs, and the server
has to be restarted. If I compile a debug version and run the server in the
debugger and wait for a crash, I will get an assertion error
_BLOCK_TYPE_IS_VALID_(pHead->nBlockUse). So I google searched that error and
found a few causes which make some sense. One of them was running outside
the
bounds of an array. I assume that's a global array which is in the heap, not
the stack.  I also read that the error can occur when dynamically allocated
memory gets deleted twice. This would seem the more likely case in my
situation.
However the weird part is the crash only occurs "sometimes". I have tried
for 3
weeks to repeat it or look for a patterns with very little luck. I have
managed
to isolate the crash to one particular function which deletes a bunch of
dynamically allocated memory. However, like I said, most of the time, it
works.
Some times it crashes. About 1/20 crashes.
The code where the crash occurs is very simple. I am simply deleting a
linked list I created previously. In no place in my code were the pointers
my memory changed, nor were any new pointers assigned to the same block of
memory via = assignment operator. It's a cut and dry case and this is why
I'm
dumbfounded. I have gone to the extreme of making a file dump and outputting
commands during the execution of the game. This is how I found out where the
crash occurred. The last output was entering this function.  So it crashes
somewhere in that function. I'll just go ahead and post the function and see
if
anyone else can make sense of it.

What I have done is redone the spawn code. I load all the spawn points from
map into a list and the get a random number from 0-X where X is the amount
of
spawn points -1 and return that spawn point when someone needs a random one=