It's possible that the jaggiez issue was fixed as of the 9800, but I
doubt it.  Everyone in my corp who has an ATI card is reporting the
problem.  I know it's not just me.  The spontaneous combustion was
admittedly not *entirely* ATI's fault.  It turned out to have be
ultimately caused by the wiring in the house not being properly
grounded, but I'm still pretty sure video cards are not supposed to
burn up as a result.

I tend to agree that on sheer FPS performance, it's likely to be ATI,
but at this point, most modern hardware will drive 1280x1024 (native
lcd resolution) at at least 60 FPS at max or near max settings
regardless of whether it's ATI or nvidia.  Given that, and my problems
with ATI, the decision is easy for me.  If you never have to call tech
support, hey, great.  But if you have a problem with your card, know
that ATI is not your friend.  And it's not just the one support
person.  I have talked to at least 10 seperate ATI tech support people
over the course of the life of my two ATI cards.  ATI tech support is
based entirely on their database of support issues which appears to be
the same as what's on their website.  All fine and good if you happen
to have a really common issue, but I can fix really common issues
quite capably myself, thankyouverymuch.  Actually knowledge of the
products themselves seems to be reserved to their last tier of tech
support people, and they're about on par with most other companies's
first tier in my experience.  I'm not really impressed.

Jaggies can be seen on an old screenshot from my 9700 before it went
up in flames.
http://www.purblind.net/jaggies.jpg

As for drivers, not entirely sure what you mean.  The installer for
the nVidia drivers is at least 100x times better than ATI's.  The
drivers themselves seem to be pretty comparable.  What's wrong with
them exactly?

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 13:03:13 -0800, HoundDawg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [...]

Bob Aman
http://www.rapidcanvas.com