HoundDawg wrote:

It's possible that the jaggiez issue was fixed as of the 9800, but I
doubt it.  Everyone in my corp who has an ATI card is reporting the
problem.  I know it's not just me.  The spontaneous combustion was

I saw the screenshot, and I can tell you that I never had that problem at all with my 9800 pro. Oh, and yes, I run an LCD too.

support, hey, great.  But if you have a problem with your card, know
that ATI is not your friend.  And it's not just the one support
person.  I have talked to at least 10 seperate ATI tech support people
over the course of the life of my two ATI cards.  ATI tech support is
based entirely on their database of support issues which appears to be

Well, I think that you're going to run into tech support issues just about anywhere. Most of the time, it's someone getting paid to search an internal knowledgebase, the same support system on the website, or even google. These people really have no clue, and I'd bet that many don't even have experience with what they're supporting. Heck, neither Valve, Vivendi, or Sierra cared much about technical support as they don't even provide any phone numbers, unless you really data mine for it.

As for drivers, not entirely sure what you mean.  The installer for
the nVidia drivers is at least 100x times better than ATI's.  The
drivers themselves seem to be pretty comparable.  What's wrong with
them exactly?

Since switching to ATI, I've found their driver installation superior to Nvidia. The most noteable, is that you don't lose the resolution settings during the upgrades. I heard my brother just the other day complain about his desktop icons getting re-arranged after he updated his Nvidia drivers. I told him that I haven't experienced that since switching to ATI. Also, I haven't noticed issues with any of the driver updates having compatibility issues, except for a specific release that didn't work right with Tron 2.0.

Anyway, hopefully yours was a very isolated incident and not many will need
to go through what you experienced.  Just look at all those that bought the
ATI+HL2 packages.  Over a year later, and they finally get their included
game.  Then, they find out that they need an Internet connection just to
play it.  Poor guys....

- HoundDawg

http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?t=61401

--