Ah, my bad... didn't realize it was such a complex thing.

Shimms

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Michael Hobson
Sent: Monday, 29 November 2004 10:29 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [hlcoders] re: false claim of real-time radiosity support in Source
Engine

At 02:42 AM 11/29/2004, Michael Shimmins wrote:
>How on earth can you make such a claim?  You think just because it isn't
>implemented in HL2 that the Source Engine isn't capable of it?
>
>Who's to say HL2 exposed 100% of the functionality of the Source Engine.
>
>Why not wait until we see what can be done with it, before blindly
>stipulating that which can not.

Dan Partly stated that it is *obviously* a false claim by Valve that they
support
Real-Time Radiosity in Source Engine on their web site. He can make this
statement with an extremely high degree of confidence.

It *should be* painfully obvious to any student of computer graphics
technology
that the claim is false.

Why?

Because there has to exist a computer executable algorithm to for real-time
radiosity before Valve Software or anyone else can possibly have implemented
it in any game engine. If such an algorithm would have been published in any
one of the several academic journals bearing on this subject, it would be
indexed
in the ACM (Association for Computing Machinery) Library and available to
SIGGRAPH members for examination.

There has been no such publication describing any methodology of performing
hemi-cube or any other Radiosity computation in Real Time and the present
best
algorithm requires at least a few tens to a couple hundred iterations of
propogating
  light energy ("radiosity") over a couple hundred thousand hemicubes (for
a typical
HL 2 level after subdivision of all the polygons into sufficiently small
facets) in order
to obtain a solution that "looks good".

All of this computation would be required for each and every frame rendered
and
even polygons that are not in the visible set would still have to be
included in the
radiosity calculation, as they might contribute scattered light to the
visible polygons
that actually get rendered by means of multiple bounces.

That is absolutely beyond power of any existing consumer hardware and could
only hope to be be achieved with a very large cluster of machines working
on the
problem in parallel.

Therefore, it may be stated with *very high confidence* that the claim on
Valve's
web site is false.

Besides that, it's not like we've never seen false claims and  statements
from Valve
Software before, either. So all this shock and horror from you fanboys at
the report
of another one is quite incomprehensible.

{OLD}Sneaky_Bastard!
email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Michael A. Hobson
icq:    #2186709