> It *should be* painfully obvious to any student of computer graphics
> technology
> that the claim is false.
>
> Why?
>  [snip]

Unfortunately, you make one big assumption that is flawed because you
failed to take into account the possibility that Valve isn't worried
about modelling radiosity completely accurately.  You'd probably be
100% correct if Valve was claiming to have fully accurate realtime
radiosity support.  However, they do not make this claim, and it seems
to me that given that there are articles out there on doing inaccurate
realtime radiosity, you're probably overreacting.

For instance:
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/rtradiosity/

Amusingly enough, I found an article on ACM about doing realtime
radiosity as well, but it basically consisted of "throw lots of
hardware at the problem".
--
Bob Aman
http://www.rapidcanvas.com