I would prefer the HL2DM Code for a base, if it started as CS:S, milions
of annoying CS/T type mods would start popping up.

PS: Can anyone tell me how to make a new thread for mailing lists? I'm
sort of new to these things.

Hi,

I know that you folks already discussed this stuff a bit but most of you
only talked about HL2DM as a possible base for 'us' developers out there.
What about CS:S ? It would by far be the more logical base for many mod
ideas out there. Sure, there could be the fact that by allowing to use
CS:S
as a base, many modifications of the original CS:S would pop up, and this
would 'split up' the CS community into a bunch of communities for
sure. But
on the other hand CS:S seems to be the more logical base on a quick look.
The current MP SDK base looks bugged and for a HL coding newbie like
me the
thousands of classes are a bit much to dig in to find the missing
'parts' or
fix bugs. Normally a modder would think about modding a game that
works and
not a ripped out version of the full thing.
So, why not allow modifying a fully working base, step by step, to get as
many mods out there as fast as possible. HL2DM looks ok as a base, but
many
things are missing it seems. CS:S has a lot of things already in place to
use as examples. Sure some things are missing like the invers
kinematics of
the HL2 characters and things like vehicles. But I'm sure that in a
'perfect' mod base these elements could be integrated more or less bug
free
to let modders start developing their new content directly, instead of
letting all of them reinvent the same wheels to then build their own
stuff
upon.
The cool thing about other engines is/was to use a working game and
exchange, replace or add your own stuff step by step. You do not need to
develop a GUI, a HUD and stuff alike, right from the start. You 'only'
need
to replace some meshs and codes to ie. get your own weapons and player
classes into the game... everything around it to test things out already
there.
As said, I'm a newbie on this engine so if this is already possible, then
plz enlighten me ;)

cheers,

Beppo

PS: Hi ChessMess... you seem to be pretty active here already ...
found the
archives ;)

--
Norbert Bogenrieder aka Beppo     Lead Programmer and Project Lead
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           Sentry Studios - Infiltration