Hallo Jeffrey,

Du schriebst:
> r00t 3:16 wrote:
>>
>> But suppose you wanted it so players who shoot weapons had to
>> compensate for distance, aiming a little ahead of a running player
>> etc.
>>
>> Is the source engine able to do this?

> [...]
> The real issue is that things that move VERY fast through the world
> don't get their position updated often enough to follow the path of a
> true parabola.  You get something like this (excuse the ASCII graphics)...

> Game Ticks (StartFrame) at the 'v's

>               v       v          v       v

>                       x----------x
>                      /            \
>                     /              \
>                    /                \
>                   /                  \
>                  /                    \
>                 /                      \
>                /                        \
>               x                          x

Shouldn't that look more like this?

 \ /             \ /
  x---------------x----------        \ /
 / \             / \         \--------x---
                                     / \  ------
                                                ------  \ /
                                                      ---x-
                                                        / \

I think the large steps which are emerging if the calculation is done
in real-time aren't such a serious problem in a game (it would be
serious if you are writing a software for simulation purposes,
indeed).

If you fire a bullet over a distance of 100 meters, it may lose 1
meter of height till it hits the target (Rubbish? I'm not an expert on
ballistics). The player wouldn't even notice that there are only a few
gradations.

Got what I'm trying to say? :-)

--
Grüße,