Anyone have luck w/ debugging a Linux server?

For some reason my segfaults upon startup under linux. Says the error is
line 134, but doesn't say what file it came from, so I have no clue how
to go about fixing it.

I found some tips on gdb (a GNU debugger) here:
http://users.actcom.co.il/~choo/lupg/tutorials/debugging/debugging-with-gdb.html

along with one HL2 page mentioning specifics on sourceWiki:
http://www.sourcewiki.org/wiki/index.php/Linux_SDK#Things_That_Go_Wrong
but I'm not smart enough to figure it out.

I added    gdb --args ./srcds_i486 -game <modname> -norestart    to my
srcds_run (actually, I copied that as srcds_run_debug and edited the
copy). I run the command and it leaves me at a gdb prompt, but from
there I have no idea what to do.

Anyone have any advice?

(oh, and I need a prompt-only solution if at all possible, cause SSH is
the only way I have into the linux box right now).

Thanks.