I don't like bumping threads but this issue is rather important, as if
Valve isn't even going to comply with their own API then server-plugins
are essentially doomed.

Hopefully someone can make a comment before this gets overrun with
another 40 irrelevant posts of "Steam: Technology Failure".

Thanks,
     ~dvander

David Anderson wrote:
 From what I've seen, it seems IPlayerInfoManager on HL2DM is still at
version 001 while IPlayerInfoManager on CS:S is at version 002.

While all Valve needs to do is recompile, the fact that the version
number and interface name are in one string make it very difficult for
good backward compatibility.  Assuming they were separated, and Valve
simply added new functions to the end of the vtable, it wouldn't be a
problem.  But that's not going to happen.

What's the solution to this? Are we going to have to do ugly hacks to
check the name's last three digits from X to 001 until we get a valid
interface pointer?  Other than that, I see nasty compatibility problems
in the future.

Thanks for any help,

     -----David "BAILOPAN" Anderson
     http://www.sourcemod.net/