can only agree here... (sorry for going a bit OT now)

you can give admins options to setup ie the number of
reinforcements/respawns per player/team, maplists, timelimits and stuff
alike... but when it comes to weapon damage, firing rate, additional scopes,
grenade launchers and stuff alike then this kind of thing should stay the
same, no matter on which server you login to start a match.

The main reason for this is that not many will blame the server admin at
all... they will only blame him/her IF they already knew the original
version of the mod...
The example of new folks playing your mod for the first time rings a lot of
bells here... we had many folks that started to blame our development team
for specific things they disliked on this or that server and blamed us for
developing a big pile of sh..t. Actually these things were mutators (UT
stuff) that some folks added to their servers and that were developed to
change specific parts about our mod. These mutators come pretty close to
what is possible for admins on HL. Sure not 100% the same but 'adjusting'
the damage values, adding another scoreboard and stuff alike is the same and
can be a big pain in the a... so to speak.

What makes a player wanting to play a specific mod? It is most times the
first impression they got while playing it for the first time. But if this
first impression is not their kind of thing then they will never touch it
again most times. And now think about your hard work (your mod) edited in a
way that you do not want it to be... what a nice first impression can result
of this.

Easy example... realistic behaviour is geared towards a specific group of
players. Sure, some more action orientated folks will like your weapons or
some other parts of your mod and then they will maybe setup a server that
plays your stuff in a highly unrealistic pure action fun style... maybe
cool, but that was not the way the mod planned to end up. And you should
always show respect if people invest their free and spare time in developing
a mod the way they like. Suggestions welcome, but it is their toy, not
yours. So, adding nice additions is most times ok, but changing basics is
not.

So, imo, hard code whatever you want to hard code and leave stuff editable
only if you want them to change it.

--
Norbert Bogenrieder aka Beppo     Lead Programmer and Project Lead
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           Sentry Studios - Infiltration