Okay, I found something neat that I think a few of us would be
interested in. http://blog.johnsto.co.uk/?action=view&id=57

Load a map, set mat_envmaptgasize to 512 and use 'envmap'. then take
the resulting output and run it through a program called GoCubic. then
you get a 3d panorama of your map in quicktime VR format like so:
http://www.johnsto.co.uk/panoramas

my on topic part of this mail is: would it be possbile for Valve to
either: A: increase the limits on mat_envmaptgasize or B: put in a
function that takes highres envmaps?

This could be a useful way to show off parts of maps.

I think it'd make a wonderful teaser to be able to pan around a spoit
in a map. (and at 93 k for the 512x512 VRs, a small file for a lot of
'cool factor'.)