I can't answer your question, but I would like to ask how you kept all
this so quiet! A new commercial Source game and a professionally-made
mod should be all over the headlines, yet this is the first time I've
heard of Valhallon?

Joshua Alejandro Jacobo wrote:

We are currently looking to use SpeedtreeRT to generate real-time trees
in our mod, as well as larger project down the line, but we are trying
to determine if it is possible to integrate the code into the SDK, the
people at IDV not offering as much documentation as we would like
(except for an outrageous monthly fee). Here is how IDV describes their
program:

/Interactive Data Visualization’s (IDV) SpeedTreeRT is a C++ Application
Programmer’s Interface (API) designed to provide access to SpeedTree
data for interactive, real-time applications. SpeedTreeRT parses the
“.spt” files created with SpeedTreeCAD (a stand-alone Microsoft Windows®
application) and delivers all tree data to the calling application via a
well organized, easy to use API. Because SpeedTreeRT is independent of
the rendering system, it is applicable to almost any situation where
high quality, three dimensional trees must be rendered in real-time.
SpeedTreeRT ships with a comprehensive SDK that contains examples of how
to render SpeedTrees in some of the more common rendering environments,
such as DirectX, OpenGL, and the Gamebryo game engine.

/and later:

/The final critical advantage offered by SpeedTreeRT is optimal data
organization for popular rendering systems. Organizing the data so that
it seamlessly fits into your rendering method (e.g., OpenGL® vertex
arrays, DirectX™ vertex buffers, etc.) means that SpeedTrees will render
with maximum performance in your application.

/And in response to a question:
/
//Q. What graphics API does SpeedTreeRT use?
A. SpeedTreeRT doesn't depend directly on any specific graphics API;
it's a numerical engine. However, SpeedTreeRT does facilitate the use of
some graphics APIs by defining geometry with pointers to vertex buffer
formats that can be used directly with API calls.
SpeedTreeRT does not make use of any system-specific calls. It was
written using C++ and the STL library.

/While browsing through their SDK, I ran into this in the documentation
referring the the work the sample application (Source) would be doing:

/Sample Applications:
The application handles all basic functions for a particular engine,
such as the creation of a window, user interaction, handling messages,
etc...
The sample application also handles creation of the scene as a whole.
This involves the placing of trees and other objects into the scene.
When needed, the sample application makes calls to the current SpeedTree
wrapper class to access update, rendering, and state management
functions of the SpeedTrees

/Our question isn't whether the physics and rendering engine are
included in the Source SDK because we know that they are not, but
rather: would implementing a system such as this be possible, and would
access to any API of the Source Engine be possible in any way?

I appreciate your feedback ahead of time.

-Joshua Jacobo
Creative Director
http://www.realmsofvalhallon.com
/