As far as I can tell:

The rendering itself is a rendertarget (hence the flames along the edges and
the irregular boundary).  As for object teleportation, all that's necessary
is to make the "portal" a trigger that modifies the physics rules of objects
that touch it to let them pass through walls and also create a "mirror copy"
of the object on the corresponding exit-portal.  If I had the time, I could
hack up something similar.  Though without actually doing it, I'm not really
in a position to say anything.

What I'm *really* interested in is how it handles recursive rendering.  I
suspect that's why, on the last scene in the video where the player falls
through a never-ending chain, they have a "test subject" go through the
portals below the player; to hide any artifacts that might show up when they
hit the recursive-rendering limit ;-)

-John Sheu