If you look better at the trailer you will see that the same telepoting
is done for the player object.
In the first task when he must fin an exit he more via the portal and
when he is half on the other side he see the still left part of his body
to the other portal. :)

Regards,
The Storm

Ben "amogan" K. wrote:
As far as I can tell from what I saw in the trailer they've done the
portals in a pretty simple way:

First off they used rendertargets etc. on the portals.
For (non-player) object going through the portals they just add a temp.
copy of the object to the exiting portal and when the actual object is
half-way through copy and original switch places and after the object
fully exited the portal the temp. copy gets removed.
However this doesn't work (or isn't implemented) for the player entity.
As you can see in the trailer the player-model doesn't move through the
portals seamlessly, it rather really only gets teleported from one
location to the other.

Of course I can't be 100% sure about this as I didn't have the chance to
play the game or look at the code. ;)
But that's definitely the way I'd go when coding such portals - and at
least it really looks like that's how they've done it, once again
watching the trailer. :>

So far I guess the Portal team didn't have to modify the engine itself a
lot. The hardest things to do IMO probably were making the player see
his player model when looking through the portals, making entities not
collied with the wall when going through portals and adjusting some
viewangle stuff.

- amogan