You might be right. It should be easy to have a dedicated server available via
hldsupdatetool (just require userid/password of a steam account that owns
hl1mp), but AFAIK Valve has not yet taken any action in this area - at least
none the they will publicly discuss.

I'm having serious misgivings about planning my mod around Half-Life
Deathmatch:Source. The lack of an SDK just stops everything in it's tracks.
Can't move forward without it. Maybe it's time to embrace HL2, and shut down my
hl1mp server :(.