http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_engine

quote:
Cinematic Physics oversees the destruction of a two-storey forest
shackDuring the July 2006 Electronic Arts Summer Showcase press conference,
it was revealed that former Weta Digital employee Gray Horsfield, special
effects destruction lead on The Return of the King and King Kong among other
roles, is building a "Cinematic Physics" system for Source. GameSpy
described the new system in their conference report:

“ The idea behind this is to give players the opportunity to experience
in-game physics in action on a grander scale. As an example of Cinematic
Physics in action, a clip from Half-Life 2: Episode Two was shown of a huge
bridge collapsing across a vast ravine. ”

The system appears to add the following features to Source's physics
simulator:

Deforming objects — before, physics models could not be modified except
through animation
Dynamic crumbling of brush geometry — before, lines of separation had to be
specified by the mapper
Cinematic Physics supports a keyframe system, [7] but its exact nature is
currently unclear. It could be that an animator creates a largely complete
but low-detail sequence which then sees details added by the physics system,
or it could be that an animator creates a handful of single-frame states
which are then used as motion targets for the ensuing simulation (in a
manner not dissimilar to the Endorphin NaturalMotion technology).

Either method results in a drastic reduction of developer input, thus
allowing the creation of far more complex scenes than before with the same
budget. It is currently unclear both whether or not keyframes are strictly
required, and what number are needed to create a scene as complex as the
bridge collapse demonstration.

<><>

endorphin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endorphin_%28software%29

but I don't know if this is what Valve is using.