Well, that's how you do it in XSI so hopefully you could do it that way in
Max as well. Each frame contains a different facial shape which corresponds
to the "Character Facial Animation Shapekey Set". Then you export those 34
frames as a .VTA file and compile it into the .QC for the model (make sure
you include your Frame 0 facial reference pose in the export). Once you
compile that .QC file you should be able to take your character into Model
Viewer and control the facial expressions under the "Flex" tab. However, I
did all of this using a pre-Orangebox version of the SDK so things might
have changed since then.