I changed it now, but I've been mounting it non-negative since March 2007
without issue.  I must have looked at the one wiki article that doesn't
mention it:

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/FileSystem_Snippet

Regarding the borked particles, all the blood-splatter and bullet impact
effect stuff works fine.  It just seems to be the newer EP2 stuff that
stopped working.  Perhaps I need to update the mod code with the latest
SDK sources?

-- Tim Baker