Most of this is done in Lua. I have a searchable version of all the
Lua code here:

http://code.garrysmod.com/

Here's how the balloon is made (Even though it doesn't make much sense)

http://code.garrysmod.com/?show=/garrysmod/gamemodes/sandbox/entities/weapons/gmod_tool/stools/balloon.lua

All the sandbox entities are here

http://code.garrysmod.com/?into=garrysmod/gamemodes/sandbox/entities/entities

The balloon just uses a motion controller to pull upwards (see the
physicssimulate function)

http://code.garrysmod.com/?show=garrysmod/gamemodes/sandbox/entities/entities/gmod_balloon/init.lua

I simplified the motion controller a bit for Lua, but there's some
examples of using it in the sdk (I think the gravity gun uses one)

garry