There's no challenge in Source RCON. So I assume you're referencing to the
authentication.
Authentication packets are built as follows:

* long integer (32bit) - a request ID, maybe a random number (just for
checking purposes)
* byte (8bit) - the packet type, SERVERDATA_AUTH for authentication: 0x03
* null-terminated string - rcon_password of the server
* zero-byte (8bit) - an additional zero-byte 0x00

So a auth request with request ID 12345 password "password" will look like
this:

00 11 10 01 00 11 00 00 03 70 61 73 73 77 6F 72 64 00 00

First 4 bytes are request ID (little-endian), 0x03 is the type, the rest
until the first zero-byte is the pasword. Plus an additional zero-byte.

You may have a look at our code here:
http://code.google.com/p/steam-condenser/source/browse/