Hey, just one more thing to add Nick, how did the drive die?  Did the
platters physically crash, IE: did you hear clicking?

Because if only the head controller went you can get another hard drive
of the same model and switch them out.  I've been lucky a few times over
the years using this method.

Also as stated before me there are places you could send the drive to as
well, but don't sleep on trying to do it yourself and perhaps save money.

http://www.wikihow.com/Swap-a-Hard-Drive-Controller-Circuit

Plenty of free info out there.

-Mike