When svn was explained to me, i was told that 1 thing svn doesnt do is
manage the project for you. Team members still need to be know who's working
in what area to avoid conflicts. The file locking method prevents devs from
stuffing up someone else's work in progress, but that doesnt help when the
dev in question goes on holiday for 3 weeks and forgets to commit their
code.