After long discussion with well known modders, it seems one of the
biggest flaws with this contest is the judging, or lack of formal
judging.

I quote http://frettacontest.facepunchstudios.com/:
"
Winners will be decided by the staff of Facepunch Studios (not the forums).
"

Is there any way to have some sort of open judging? Why not invite
someone from Valve or someone from hlcoders to be a judge? Such an
elaborate contest should have some sort of well known guest judge...
ask Gabe Newell to help judge! Or even John Carmack (he could use the
publicity)..