A friend asked me to help start a mod, and I ran into a problem quite early
on.
The request was for specific damage amount on a headshot.

This seemed like an easy goal, but has me stumped. What would be the proper
way to detect a headshot? My first assumption was to check the "hitbox" or
"hitgroup" members from the CGameTrace. After searching the SDK, this seemed
to be the right method. CBasePlayer::TraceAttack checks the hitgroup there
for scaling damage.
The problem is, this just simply does not work for me. I added a simple
console message to print the hitbox and hitgroup specified, and they ALWAYS
show as 0. (Which explains why the different damage doesn't work.)

I've not messed with modeling any however, loading the model in the model
viewer, I can see the hitboxes are there...

I'm starting to think there is something painfully obvious that I'm
overlooking here. If someone could please give me a hint as to what I'm
doing wrong, I'd greatly appreciate it.