Hi,

The major differences are that while a CPU has one processing core (or
today, two processing core), any older GPU has quite a lot of processing
units that run at a very low speed but are specialized in certain areas,
this way the load is really divided. Also just a comment, several labs are
starting to use GPU to do MAJOR calculations specially because of their high
paralel processing oportunity.

And for instance Shader calculation is a very expensive method, but for
instance most of the more modern cards have several shader processing units
in which their architecture and also their basic functionality are optimized
to do this shader calculation that would make a CPU cry.

The major differences Katrina between the two is that a CPU is a generic
processing unit, which contain a lot of commands and functionalities, while
a GPU contains quite a lot of VERY specialized processing cores. This
differences is what makes it be really faster than using Software rendering,
specially since some with Software rendering you would need to emulate some
features that are basic nowadays with the GPUs, and do so much calculations
in a serial way, while trying to maintain a decent 3d output. So again i
say, the most important feature of the GPUs is their paralel programming.