You might also want to have a look at produceral textures, and perhaps how the AVI code available on the wiki is done.

On 2010-10-04 06:28, Joel R. wrote:
You'd first have to know the size of the board.  Then just use a ray trace
to capture where on the board you are clicking and convert to 2D
coordinates.  Then using a RenderTarget for the board texture, you should be
able to edit the image directly pixel by pixel.  I don't remember the exact
functions anymore, but it is possible.