You can load a map on start up, just add +map mapname to the shortcut

--------
Owner Nigredo Studios http://www.nigredostudios.com

--- On Mon, 25/10/10, Psy_Commando <psycomma...@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Psy_Commando <psycomma...@gmail.com>
Subject: [hlcoders] Help on implementing a 3rd person on-rail starfox64-like
shooter
To: hlcoders@list.valvesoftware.com

Hi, I’m not sure how mailing list works, I hope I posted at the right address.
Anyways, I’ve been messing around with the sdk for some time now, I’ve been
working on a starfox 64 like shooter,  and I have a few problems:

1. I’d want to find some way of overriding the main menu and loading menu.
That’s because I want to load a map on startup that will act as an interactive
3d menu, I would simply put a vgui panel that would handle the user clicks and
move the menu elements in the map But, it seems like the main menu, console,
and loading screen’s source code are nowhere to be found. I’ve been able to
hide the parent panel of the game menu and display the empty engine viewport,
but messing with the main menus at runtime can’t be too healthy. I’ve tried to
use the alien swarm sdk instead, but it’s a little buggy and there is limited
community support for the sdk.

2. I can’t seem to find a simple solution to my vehicle problem. I successfully
coded a free flying ship. But the problem is, since I want to replicate sf 64’s
flight physics, I need to be able to seamlessly transition between on rail
flight and free flight. I tried to see how the attack chopper does it, but it
doesn’t seem to be capable of flying without a rail to follow.

3. Other vehicle problem, I can’t do a barrel roll ! Or a somersault, I don’t
know how I can make the ship do the somersault while on-rails, and then
expecting it to seamlessly returning on its path. And I don’t know how to code
the somersault move in itself. I thought about animating the somersault move in
the model, but that’s a big ugly hack, and it would screw the collision
detection.

4. Since I want to make flying levels, I need lots of open ground, the source
engine isn’t made to accommodate large open spaces. So I asked the devs from
the Eternal Silence mod, who have very large flying space in their mod, and
they told me they scaled the players, the ships, and everything else but the
map down. That makes sense, but can’t this be made automatically at runtime
instead? Because, rescaling the player view to be on-scale with the rest seems
tricky. Besides, won’t it cause graphical artefacts, and problems with the
view’s near-z. Any idea or comments about that?

Thanks.