I had $translucent 1 in there, I now added $vertexalpha 1 but still no dice
:( I found this post on the Steam forums which seems sort of related:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1365801

So I tried adding m_nRenderMode and m_clrRender to the network table of
CBaseCombatWeapon, but that didn't fix it either.