Someone suggested this might be related to the "sv_master_legacy_mode" cvar.

On Saturday, September 14, 2013 10:15:59 AM, Jan Hartung wrote:
And here’s an update on the issue. While the code search still doesn’t
help me I went ahead and checked my network traffic. When I run the
dedicated server of our mod, a UDP packet is sent out each time I
issue the “heartbeat” command and a UDP packet is received. The same
is true for the dedicated and listen server of the demo project from
GitHub. I then prepared the listen server of our mod to be visible
from the net, setting sv_lan to 0 and changing the map. Now, when I
run the “heartbeat” command on that listen server there’s no packet
sent out whatsoever. Additionally the server is also not visible on
the LAN tab of the server browser. My money would be on a
configuration rather than a code issue now. So in case anyone knows in
which cases “heartbeat” does not send any network packets at all that
might a hint to what’s causing the issue here.

Jan