> It's like cutting a stranger's lawn
> and expecting a
> Hamilton for it ...

This is a bad analogy.  The point being made is that a question has been
posed to Valve by the HLDS server admin mailing list.  Valve has not yet
given a response.  The popularity of Half-Life, and it's continued
(apparently) financial success is due to the number of *free* public servers
available for consumers of the client to play on, AND the number of MODs
available for the HL engine.

That said, watch what would happen to Valve if all the HLDS server admins
decided to boycott the company, and shut down all those 10,000+ HLDS
servers.  I'm talking permanently.  You would see a much different attitude
from Valve if this happened.  HL has experienced a nice success snowball
effect because of all the *free* support given to it by those who host it
and develop for it.

If CS would have never been developed, HL would be a "has been" or "classic"
game already.  There would be no recurring revenue.  Valve would already be
belly up, or close to it.

The point that many are making is, without public servers (and those who
host them), and without cool mods that extend the useful life of the HL
engine, few would play HL, and therefore few would continue to buy it.
Thus, bye bye Valve.  It seems the general consensus is that Valve "owes"
something back to those who have helped make Valve financially successful,
whom without, Valve would be nothing.  No, Valve didn't ask for this, but
they'd be nowhere without it....

StanTheMan
TheHardwareFreak
www.hardwarefreak.devastation.cc