when you run a online server from halflife it is dubbed a "listen server" ,
usually people use listen servers to start a quick game for 4 of there mates
to have a game or something (quick and dirty) ..

Dedicated servers, dont put you in the game as the host, they run as a
hlds.exe session and are totally dedicated to acting as a server, they
process different configuration files than the listen servers files and can
be set up to run as you want them more..  in other words you can have a more
personal custom server if its dedicated, although oyu can achieve the same
svar settings on a listen server via console, it is usually better and
easier to use a dedicated server...  also remembering if you were wanting to
run a server 24/7  or for a large period of time and it was a listen
server..  you would have to be in the game all the time you wanted to run
it.. where as a dedicated server just needs to be running..  (looks like a
dos prompt console sort of..)

the server hlds files need updated scertainly as you said,  if its a counter
strike server you will need to install the latest version in the cs directry
on the server files you are going to be using..    to make a hlds session
urn a cs server you append the following to the target of the hlds
shortcut..    " -game cstrike "   some optiponal switches oyu can also use
owuld be    " -port 27016 "   for setting the port your hlds server ran on..

the core files for a dedicated server are hlds.exe ,   server.cfg,
liblist.gam, autoexec.cfg  (found in your mods directory)

to run the hlds.exe as a tfc server you would add a switch after the exe
when you run it, either by creating a shortcut and adding the switches,
hlds.exe -game tfc

to urn it hidden so its not in the system tray, the way most of us do that
is runnoing the server as a SERVICE, this can be only done on windows2k, nt,
xp machines..  it is done by using a program called fire daemon which you
can get from,   www.firedaemon.com

alterantively if you want it hidden and your running oyur server of a win9x
box you could get a program called DO HIDE which woul djust hide it from
your taskbar...

i hpoe this helps you a little bit

etc etc.

i know im not perfect at expolaning this but it should get you started.. im
sure some of the other more LITERATE poeple here could help you a bit more..