Never have had any client issues with steam so I cant share your opinion.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Dennis
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 8:22 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [hlds] Problems with steam client and HLDS

I finally decided that resistance is futile, and I'm TRYING to convert to
Steam.

Just last night I converted my client box to Steam with very little trouble
(so I thought). I played TFC for about an hour. In that time I only crashed
once...very nice. Now suddenly tonight, when I double-click "Team Fortress
Classic" in the games window, I get this:

"Preparing to play Team Fortress Classic", then a popup window with this:

"SteamStartup(0xf,0x62f9d8) failed with error 108:
The local Steam Service is not running."

It would be nice if someone, someday, came up with a USEFUL error message.
Why the f*ck was the local Steam Service running LAST NIGHT, and it's just
decided that it doesn't feel like running all of a sudden???

Also, after installing Steam on my server box (Windows NT), and running
HLDSUpdateTool with the -create option, I get the following:

"The procedure entry point GetLongPathNameA could not be located in the
dynamic link library kernal32.dll"

Well I had a feeling that Steam was an absolute piece of sh*t, and it
certainly didn't disappoint me. Valve will die soon if they're banking on
this crap.

Pretty goddamn sad, nice job guys.