-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of David Fencik
Sent: 29 July 2004 17:40
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [hlds] Problems with steam client and HLDS

I think everyone's gripes about the content delivered by steam would
just go away if we had a way of selecting what updates to receive.
Ideally for server admins, we'd have an ability to download whatever
version we want, like:

Hldsupdatetool -command update -version X ...

I don't think this is feasible for valve, as it would increase their
bandwidth usage and would mean more administration for them.  I can see
their wish to have only one version out there to support.

I think about WON with hlds version 4.1.1.0 through 4.1.1.1d.  I
remember 3 beta versions being released in one day.  If we were using
steam at the time, this would mean 3 steam updates...not acceptable.

I think it has been said a few times already, but a command switch like
this would be awesome:

Hldsupdatetool -command update -nobeta ...

I think that most people who are praising won are really praising the
ability to control what version they are running.  This would satisfy
them, and would also mean a slight reduction in bandwidth usage for
valve.

It is an established practice for any software developer to release beta
software before a final is released.  Steam is an excellent content
delivery mechanism, however, it cannot do away with this practice.

Dave