Add Opteron's in there and you got the 4 corners.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Simon Garner
Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 1:01 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [hlds] AMD or Intel?

Hi people,

It's that old war again and I need to choose sides. :)

We are going to be building a bunch of 1U servers. For roughly the same
price I have a choice between:

    AMD Athlon XP 3200
or
    Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz Prescott socket 478 or
    Dual Xeon 3.0 GHz

The dual Xeon's are about 1.5x the price of the other two but I figure
they're at least 1.5x the performance/capacity so they're my favoured option
currently. Although I've had good results with dual Athlon's before I'm not
considering them this time around because the Athlon MPs seem to be lagging
behind the XPs technologically, with lower GHz and slower FSB.

Anyway, I am just wondering if anybody has made any side by side performance
comparisons lately for HLDS on these CPU platforms. What's your pick?

cheers

-Simon