Who said the professionally run servers in the past were being listed
first anyhow?

It seems the people who are running single servers off the back of
their whatever connection or hosted service are the ones complaining
the most about any changes to this system.

People who professionally run servers have better things to complain
about that this, as they will generally have a hell of a lot more
servers, so even on an old class c network, you are going to have
winners and losers no matter what you do.