This is a good point, not to mention the fact that nothing empties a server
faster than requiring CD. My server was full every day. I had a problem with
cheaters and installed CD. After that I was lucky if I had more than 5
players at any given time. I removed CD, and my server filled right up
again.

Don't get me wrong, I think the CD concept is great, but it's too much of a
pain for most clients to use for whatever reason. Personally, I just kept
forgetting to run it before I started the game. When I was booted from a
server for not having it, it was just easier and faster to find another
server rather than shut down the game, start CD, start the game, find the
server, and join.

I think if the writers of CD could put a shortcut on the desktop that starts
CD, then starts the game, you would see a huge boost in usage because there
would be nothing to forget and once installed, you'd never have to think
about it again.