On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 03:04:14PM -0800, Ooks Server wrote:

> >What's wrong with a home based server?  I pay $315/month for a 1.5mbit
> >SDSL connection and run a server off of a P4 2.8Ghz HT, 2GIG ram and raid
> >5 disk subsystem. Just because my server is at home, I doubt that it
> >provides
> >sub-par game play...
> >

> Not a thing...to me. There are thousands of home based servers that perform
> very well. I don't have an actual count, I'm not sure anyone does. I'd be
> very interested to know the actual figures, home based versus data center
> based.
>
> $315...isn't that a bit spendy? What else do you do with the box? You have
> way too much memory and disk drive for an HL server.

Well, $315/month is a bit spendy. But you get what you pay for when it comes
to DSL. It's cheaper than co-locating, and better than using a dedicated
server.. I like having complete control over my hardware and OS setup.

I certainly do more than run a HL server. I actually run a small web hosting and
design business.

Jim Norton - http://www.jimnorton.org

"The art of listening is indispensable for the right use of the mind.
It is also the most gracious, the most open and the most generous of
human habits."
(Attributed to R. Barr, St. John's College, Annapolis, MD)