"Bumpy? lol, what an understatement :-) It was more like slamming into a
brick wall at 180mph...."
lmfao, awesome call there =D

Good ol' Whisper rants, never get old ;)

I agree that STEAM was an awesome idea, just a few things were
overlooked that shouldn't have been, and situations have ended with a
lack of staff maintaining STEAM and HL1 while HL2 gets all the attention
(for obvious reasons).  Similar thing happens with us, the admins are
all really busy working on other stuff so they get less time to maintain
gameservers that we currently have which results in widespread
frustration from users and people moving to other alternative solutions
(in this case other servers, in the STEAM case it'd be third party
mods/cd/etc).

Guess that's just a part of life we have to deal with at the moment.
Would be nice if they could at least block damn opengl32.dll's though.
I mean, they're pointless for legitimate uses when placed in the game
executable directory, all they're used for is some multihacks and the
infamous VAC disabler v2.  Get rid of the VAC disabler and pow, VAC
security levels should be pretty much back to normal (mebbe) =D

- Bruce "Bahamut" Andrews

Whisper wrote:

Personally I do not think STEAM is a bad idea per se, although I would
be extremely concerned with some of the possibilities if you are of
the paranoid conspiracy ilk, as there are some definite conclusions
you can draw that are a logical consequence of this technology.

That being said, the whole thing was a complete design and
implementation cluster fuck from almost the beginning.

How Valve had no idea how many users they were going to have to
service on the STEAM Network I will ever understand.

The complete naivety Valve displays in regards to the security of
their software borders on the sophomoric at the best of times. At
worst it is completely negligent!! Their design philosophys might have
worked back in 1995 when the Internet really started to kick off, and
nobody knew what they were really doing, but in the 21st century you
build your network applications based on the following principles:

1. Whatever Network Bandwidth you think you are going to need, double
it, people can never get enough, and be in the position to quickly
double it again on demand with a sub 24 hour turn around.

2. Servers and Server Process break down, for crying out loud,
automate the monitoring of the damn things if you can't put bodies on
them to watch them 24/7 and setup things so when something crashes, it
is restarted automatically.

3. The Internet is a dangerous place, assume people are going to try
to fuck you, your network and your software up with methodical
malicious intent and plan accordingly.

I know I go on about this shit constantly, but who here with
experience with Networks and Servers could not have foreseen many of
the problems that Valve seem to blindly stumble into on a regular
basis?

And what is worse though, is that it is going to happen again and
again and again because whatever software culture they have over it
Valve is, its not working at a very fundamental level.

The worst thing is, their idea's are great, STEAM is a great idea
(poor implemented mind you) their games are great when it comes to
playing them. I suspect HL2 is going to make Doom3 seem like an
annoyance in terms of its depth of story and useful visual effects and
multi faceted possibilities, but they keep letting themselves down,
which annoying to me because they promise so much!!!

Anyhow that's the end of this rant for now. Guess you will all get
another one soon enough, I'm afraid.