On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 02:23:44PM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I question anyone who says to not take Win2K3 as it *should* be shitty for
> CS servers. First of all, *should* suggests someone with no idea what
> they're talking about. Second, when does a hosting provider become
> knowledgeable in running a CS server. And thirdly, I run several Win2K3
> servers both with Web Edition and Standard Edition and every client I host
> in both CS, FarCry, and other games revel in the high performances we offer
> them. Take note that you want to run a *server* for clients. The name alone
> should be taken as something reliably hosted. Using a *desktop* operating
> system to run a *server* is just plain ignorant. Furthermore, Win2K3 and XP
> are very much alike except for the main distinction of Win2K3 being a
> *SERVER* OS. I don't care how many *shitloads* of servers they claim to run.
> You are being fed information by an idiot. Use Win2K3 and log in to your
> servers with RDC.

I'm wondering what, other than the string "Server" in the name, makes
Win2k3 Server better than a Win XP install on the same hardware, if
each OS is configured correctly for the application?

Is the IP stack different?
Is the IO different?
Does the kernel handle single threaded apps better (like srcds/hlds is).
Is remote access (administrative wise) easier/better?
Are the other services (unrelated to srcds/hlds) important?

I honestly don't know the answer to most of these questions.  My point
is simply that what's in a name?  Just because Microsoft calls a
product "Server" does not make it better.

SRCDS/HLDS is a simple beast.  It's just a simgle process running on
whatever platform.  There is no database required, no high IO
requirements, no real IP stack issues, no encryption problems.  It's
really an easy program/service to support on today's gear.  It takes a
handful of UDP connections and spits a small amount of data out to
them.

--
Hexis
www.hxxl.com