On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 04:46:03PM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Obviously, my point stands. You don't charge a client to host his services
> on a desktop operating system. ESPECIALLY, when it directly affects the
> performance of the machine in question. RDC is a secure connection to the
> server that will provide reliable services to a paying client and insures
> the best option of running a Microsoft platform at it's highest possible
> performance/reliability. "Personal preference" when it comes to charging a
> client for services needs to be pushed aside and use the platform that is
> specifically designed to provide this type of service.
> In following with the relativity to the HLDS list I am suggesting from first
> hand knowledge that the gentleman needs to run his services under the Win2K3
> operating system to insure performance of the services running on it. I will
> not get into a "who's dick is bigger" conversation over my knowledge of the
> OS. It's been plainly stated the advantages of the OS over others in both
> this list and multiple venues on the internet. If he chooses to stay with a
> desktop operating system then he should "take what you get" and learn from
> his mistakes or seek the knowledge of others that use it instead of relying
> on a hosting salesman's impression of an OS's performance.

Well, my servers are just that, mine.  They are purly for whatever
games servers I want to run.  I don't rent/lease/lend/whatever then to
anyone.  So for me the question is easy, I run whatever I want to.  I
think I'm in the same situation as many game admins.

All I'm asking is _why_ is Win2k3 Server "better".  Is is only because
he's having trouble with XP?  Is it because "Server" is in the name?
Is it because it from Microsoft, so it's gotta be good?  _Why_?

If you want to posture that Server is better because it says Server,
I'm not impressed.  If you want to provide real technicial reason then
cool, I get to learn something today, and I enjoy learning.  If you tell me it
s your preferance to run 2k3 Server because you like it, great.  That's
a reason too.  I'm just looking for a clear reason.

--
Hexis
www.hxxl.com