If your running 1 server, windows XP would be the way to go, if your
running more than one, Windows 2003 would be the way to go because it's
kernel is built for running multiple services with the threading, it can
handle it much better than XP because the kernel is optimized for that
kind of use where as XP Pro is more for Graphics and code compiling. Keep
in mind, while they did start out from the windows 2000 codebase, they
diverged when Windows XP was released in order to make the Windows 2003
platform more stable and Enterprise ready to compete against Unix which it
is actually doing very well from the benchmarks posted around the net.

Also, while the forground and background has been around, it's the Kernel
that determines the Optimization, unfortunately, you can't rebuild your
kernel in windows like you can for *bsd/linux which means, your limited to
the features the kernel your running can support.

If you do a Diff of the kernel files, you will see that the 2003 Standard
Versions are bigger than XP Pro versions.

The reasons are fairly obvious. It comes down to preference, costs and how
much robustness you want in your system. I know why I use windows 2003
instead of Windows XP for a MS SQL server, it's fairly obvious. YOu can
use it or not, thats your perogative, but they are not the same by far.